Sunday, September 28, 2008

Confronting the truth

Lucian was both excited and nervous to speak to Lord Raquel. Lord Raquel's smile put him right at ease, "Master Lucian. Thank you for coming to speak to me, I know everything is in a little bit of a spin since the battle. Admist all the celebtration I couldn't help but think a key element of our victory has been overlooked--YOu. You defeated Fu Mei from what I here was a heroic struggle severly crippling their centeral command and control. Who know how different it would be had you not been victorious. Often this is a thankless job but I would like to thank you and include a celebration specifically to you."

The ease Lucian felt was suddenly gone replaced by a sinking pit in his stomache vastly more powerful than the nerves he felt before speaking to his Lord. Summoning his courage he relates the truth of the experience concluding with, "I was commanded to defeat Fu Mei and as I felt I was presented with the choice to stop her or let her go back and cause the death of countless others. Though it may not have been the most honorable, I feel it was in line with the will of my god."

Raquel will absorb the information and say, "I appreciate your integrity a lesser man would have rode on the fame like a ship rides out a storm. That integrty speaks to how good your heart is. I can question the choices made in the heat of battle not being their myself, what I can offer you is this perspective. What we, the Isle and the world, was able to do just a couple of days ago was not because of strength of arm but by faith. The Isle is a symbol of goodness that people trust with out question, it allowed the world to unite despite everyones differences and fight for the common good. That power is our greatest, for the true battle of good verses evil is fought in the heart of every man woman and child. The Isle is a beacon for the hearts of men. A symbol that is bigger than all of us, bigger than our individual faith. In order for that symbol to remain what it is we all as a part of it have to be above reproach, even at the cost of our own life or any other price. If the symbol should fall to corruption the destruction of the hearts of men would follow. I'm glad you have the integrity to be part of that symbol."

Lucian attempts to digest the full magnitude of Lord Raquels gentle reproach and responds simply, "Thank you sir."

On his way out of the Temple of Light a priest approaches Lucian. Dressed in ceremonial robes with a golden robe tied around his waste with 2 hanging knots, the priest held the symbol of Logar Mogath, god of righteous judgement. "Lord Lucian, my name is Kevin. I wanted to let you know many of us admire you for what you've done. There are those of us who believe in doing what is necessary to stop evil. Please join me for an evening meal this night at the Angels Haven. Just give the doorman your name and he'll help you find us, and come hungry you feast to your victory." Simply in shock by his recent conversation with one of the worlds greatest men Lucian fails to process the conversation fully and responds, "Sure thanks, I'll be there."

No comments: