Monday, October 27, 2008

Truth and Judgement?

Travelling the world in seconds. Lucian had been to Assyria, Atlanta and back to Assyria all before sundown. They had rescued Morgan but Lucian had yet to achieve his objective. Jared had the incriminating letters but Lucian was sure when he explained the situation to him he would hand the letter over.



Jared, High Priest of Marduk, stood from his prostrated position and stopped his wailing. His face was run ragged soaked by what must be a day of tears. As he took his cloak from a priest the priest whispered something to him. Most likely announcing the Lucian was here to see him because he fastened his cloak and walked directly to Lucian. He was a large but not imposing man. Calloused hands and too much gray in his hair for his age indicated that he stressed and worked harder than most. "A Paladin from the Isle, I welcome you and you honor me by your presence."



Lucian responded with sober solemnity, "I am Lt. Lucian. and I do hail from the Isle. It is about the Isle I wish to speak with you if you have a moment." Jared nodded and Lucian continued, "It has come to my attention that you have recieved a letter. A letter that is a gross exageration of the truth. It was penned by a dark man determined to destroy the Isle by robbing the world of their faith in it." Lucian continued to share the full story in all details. The truth, in all its painstaking details, flowed from his mouth in well rehearsed verse he had told the story enough. He emphasized how he chose the greater good and stood against evil when it had to be done.



Jared's reply shocked him, "Well I can not imagine anything in a letter that would be more incriminating and a great admission of a great evil that what you just shared with me." Lucian just blinked, "I have not received a letter and I would not have believed it had I read something like that unless it was told directly too me. To even conceive a world where a paladin would sacrifice all of his honor integrity, then come to me not sorry but with nothing but excuses and justification for his evil acts. Perhaps the Isle is not what it use to be."



Lucian fumed. He had come to the edge of the world to find this grown man crying like a child all day to tell him the truth. He told the truth and explained his righteous actions and this man all but spit in his face. Who was he to sit in judgement? This guy is nothing. Lucian responded with venom in his teeth. "WHo are you to judge me when you do nothing to fight evil but cry in your temple. It is for indecision like you that forces the hands of us on the front lines dieing to keep your lands free."



Taking Lucian by surpise and nearlly causing him to fall back, "YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM HERE DOING! I have seen evil that the Isle did not stop destroy everything valuable in this world. Thousands dead and the temple to Marduk defiled and destroyed. Khan laid waste to the lands of Babylon and caused me to head north looking for the shelter of an Assyrian lord. Now I find that he is recieving help and aid from someone called the Alchemist who I believe to be a dark friend. Faced with the decision I have decided to trust the Lord MARDUK and let the consequence follow. If only we all had such faith."



Lucian exasperated and sighed nothing left to say, "Do you have the letter?"



"No, if I receive it I will destroy it. I would hate for a story worse than the truth to spread. Though it shames me to know the truth."



Jared simply moved past him and into the night back. Lucian too dizzy to speak. If he did not have the letter, Lord Haws lied to me. Lucian realized he had to face that embarcing situation for nothing, because Captain Haws was ill informed. Anger stemmed at the edges and Lucian white knuckled his mace. Something was wrong he was set up. Captain Haws set him up, and Lucian would find out why.

No comments: