Friday, October 10, 2008

An unseen world

Bob did not have much to do. He was suppose to meet up with Lucian in a day or two. Remus had asked him to travel with Galan but it seemed Galan was no where to be found and to Bob Lucian seemed like the next best choice. He was a Paladin and all. He was simply excited to enjoy some time off with his wife and children. That was short lived however as Master Underguard had a task for him. Bob had been magically transported to TradeCity to find one of Master Underguards old friends. Though it did not make any sense to Bob why he was suppose to watch observe and access the intentions of a friend, but he rarely understood Master Underguard fully. He was just happy to know him and be so blessed by his generousity.

He had been to the roaring lion before but it was always a sight to behold. This was the last place Raziel Kane was seen just a few hours ago. Remus had a file with sketchings and details of what he was capable of. He had read, though not extremely closely, most of it and most minstrels do not tell such a tale. Demons, gods, time travel, vampires - if they even existed. He approached the bar keep and in code asked for any info he had. Sliding the file across the table he takes a quick scan of the Tavern. His eye catches a pretty young woman. She must work inside a lot doesn't seem like her aristicrat skin has encounterred much sun light.

The Barkeep says, "He was here a little bit ago but left headed west. We did not have a man trail him orders were if he showed up Boss would take care of it directly. I take it that you are Boss taking care of it." Bob shrugged, "I'm just here to help anyway the boss needs me too." Turning around to leave he sees the young lady now directly behind him. He almost stumbled back.

"Hello, I'm sorry my name is Bella. I was looking for someone and thought you maybe could help me." Bob looks past her pretty face and says, "I'm sorry I almost ran you over. I'm Bella. And that is strange I'm looking for someone too. I was about to head out."
"You don't mind if I come with you do you? I could use the company in this crowded city."
Bob feeling inclined to trust the young lady says, "Sure. Any maybe you'll get lucky and find your friend."

The stench of Tradecity was something he was use to as a boy growing up but having moved away and living in more sanitary places he was startled at it now. Bella seemed to be too as she kept sniffing almost constantly. Ladies' and their manners he thought as she tried to be discrete about her sniffing. Then he saw him at least he matched the sketch and the description. Though Raziel played it casual Bob new he had been spotted as Raziel casually moved to an alley.

Following at a quick pace, Bob and Bella turn into the narrow gap between buildings and see nothing. Bob instictfully goes for the shadows scanning to assure Raziel was not hiding there. Bella just stood confused but Bob did not have time to worry about her right now.

Suddenly, Raziel was there and was shoving Bella against a wall. Though, she was not going easy those skinny arms had some unseen strength but so did Raziel's. He does push her back and in doing so the wall behind Bella cracks. Bob was moving to get behind Raziel for a perfect blow hoping maybe he could save Bella. This whole simple thing had gone so bad. Bob hoped Remus would not be dissapointed in him. They were talking. Good Bella distract him a little longer.

"I come to you only to offer an invitation. I mean you no harm and you attack me. Release me." She must have been nobility of some type, she certainly spoke like it. A cool voice painted with irritation and directed the way his wife spoke to the children when they disbehaved. Bob smiled in spite of himself as he remembered his family but forced his thoughts back to the here and now.

"Then tell your servant to halt his attack and I'll release you." Raziel returns in a calm commanding voice. Though something in it was surprised. Maybe she did not act as he expected. She certainly did not act as Bob had expected. Bob stepped out of the shadow just as Bella shoved Raziel back and he released her hand. "What is this invitation you speak of?" He continued.

"I do not speak of it here with so many ears we should go someplace safe to talk."

So it seemed she was looking for Raziel too. That was interesting. The file said he had a lot of enemies a pretty tangled story all in all, maybe this was another piece of his past. Either way he felt he had to get charge of the situation and though heavily intimidated by their presences he spoke up, "So this is the friend you were looking for?"

Bella not taking her eyes from Raziel simply nods. She then directs her comments to Raziel, "There is a bridge across the river with a wolf head carved into the railing. Meet me there in an hour and we'll discuss your invitation." Turning to Bob, "I am done with him." And the enchanting young woman was gone as easy as that. She simply turned and left back into the crowded street as if nothing had happened. Bob was in a tailspin with a million questions. Raziel spoke to him and it almost spooked him. "Your Lady is leaving you should join her."

"She's not my lady I met her just a moment ago. Almost too perfectly like she had planned...I come representing Remus Underguard and he has some seperate questions for you."

Raziel visibly sighs but with a look of seriousness and matter of fact resolve, the same kind of look and sigh his wife gives when its time to clean the cooking pots from diner- it has to be done, he nods. "This was inevitable I suppose. If I can address this perhaps I'll have one less jackel chasing my heals. Ask your question theif."

Bob again taken back but determined to remain in control turned the conversation on him, "Where did you come from and what are your plans?"

"It seems I was cloned shortly before death. And now I'm starting a new life. With death all my past associations are gone and I just want to start over avoiding any entanglements."

"So you mean no harm or interferance to the Den?"

"No, not do I intend to work for or with them. Live and let live. I'll steer clear of any of the Den's interests and just live, I'd ask for the same."

"Very well. Just know we will be watching. And they'll decide what to do with you. Stay where its safe." Bob was not sure he delivered it as menacing and threatening as it sounded to him when he read it but he did deliver it word for word as Remus asked him.

Raziel nods, "Then I bid you good day. I have another meeting to attend." Then confidently he strides into the rush off people and floars as a tree carried down a mighty river moving with it but different from it somehow.

Bob satisfied he had made his observations and delivered his message, he thought this was one of hte easiest things Remus had asked him to do. Grateful it did not go bad as he suspected he could not help but feel proud and looked forward to telling Remus what had happened, he would be very proud of him.

Little did he know the volumes that he missed and how that may one day determine the fate of the Isle and the fate of us all.

No comments: