Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Nathan and Lana

Lana franticly smoothed her silk dress and checked her hair in the mirror one mote time.  She adjusted the bottle of wine one the table and then checked her hair again.
Nathan was coming to bring reports from the xia Lin monastary and looking for updates from her.  Things had been icy at best since tatyana came in and seduced him, but tonight she would make things wrong she was finally able to forgive him. 
He came in his long thin white cape hanging from his shoulders and joy touching his tired eyes.  "Kadean escaped.  It was a miracle Lana he says the prison just collapsed around him.  The light can not be stopped praise hajama."
She smiled to see him so happy.  He looked like Nathan again. "You have your friend back I'm so happy." There was a long pause as she tried to remember all the speeches she had in mind, "I want to be your friend again." The words fell out of her mouth almost sounding desperate. 
He looked startled I guess that was ok so was she.  The surprise Hung on his face for a moment then another then another.  Why wasn't he saying something?  She realized she needed to talk more, the silence was just too loud.
"You are my besr friend.  I realize now you are the one constant good thing in my life.  You are ever a rock and a strength.  Tatyana doesn't matter to me.  I know it was a magic spell and its over now.  I forgive you and I want it to me normal.  I'm lucky to be in love with my best friend."

Nathan paused for still another moment, long enough that she wonderred if her water fall of words even made sense.  She openned her mouth to try and explain it again but he spoke instead, "Your words are kind." kind? what did he mean. "My first loyalty and devotion is to the truth, and I make no apologies for it."

"What do you mean?"

"Even with all the spells broken, Tatyana was a woman who needed help. And despite everything I think I still love her.  In addition, instead of supporting and helping me you were only resentful and eventually forgave me.  This is just one in a long line of examples that could be given for the truth that its dangerous to love a paladin- people get hurt.  The truth is... I don't know how I feel anymore."

Shock, grief, depression, anger, rage and regret all swelled up in her and as it seemed to want to explode she openned her mouth and only heard herself say, "Ok. I'm here to wait as long as it takes."  With her head a little clearer she continued, "I waited for you through death, I can wait a little longer.  I'll never give up on us Nathan. I'm lucky to have stayed where I have stayed and I'm sure we'll be going home again."

No comments: